November 15, 2014
On the RPS website a member posted a focus stacked image of chestnuts.
Mark’s Chestnuts inspired me. I dug out my Macro lens. Just a note here, I could not recall the last time I used it and it has never been on my current camera.
I nicked a flower off the hanging basket by the front door, just for a 3D subject.
I put the flower on a piece of card, on a box, on a chair on my landing. I put the camera on a tripod in the loo as that has a wooden floor and I didn’t want the camera to move.
I set the camera up on live view where the rear screen becomes the shutter release, no need to push and risk moving the tripod. Initially I got some masking tape to mark the focusing ring with the focus points of the two ends of the subject so I could I could focus through the subject without too much bother. That didn’t work as the Ultrasonic Motor doesn’t move the lens consistently. I therefore had to look through the viewfinder and focus through the subject. Half way through the sun went in and the lighting changed on the landing. I therefore manually adjusted the exposure for each image in ACR to make the top right hand corner of the card the same RGB readings!
Then I had to watch a couple of videos on how to get the images into a layer stack, align them and then merge them.
Given this was my first ever attempt I reckon I’ve learnt a lot and enjoyed the process. So thank you Mark and your chestnuts!